Saturday 21 February 2015

MGM Dizzee World

After a successful first theme park day it was time to visit two larger parks that reside on the East Coast Road, a main route that follows the Chennai coastline.


On the way there we drove through the town of Thiruporur which was home to the most amazing temple I've ever seen. These are common around the area but this one was so colourful. Apparently there is an even large one further north in Kapaleeshwarar which will be a must-do next time I come here. Truly amazing.

The kids clearly have no issue hanging off the back of the truck. This would be genuinely thrilling for me I reckon.

Soon after we arrived at the park which was easy to find with an entrance as bright as this. The MGM in its name is not the film company that we know in America but M.G.Muthu, a large corporation based in the Tamil Nadu state.


The sign on the left made me smile, the sign on the right left me a little perplexed. I wonder how fast the wheels spin to make people lose their clothes? It was strange to see two wheels so close to each other.


The park was open but dead with barely half a dozen people in the park when I arrived, and a large number of bored staff sitting around their rides. 


Dinosaurs are easy theming.

The 5D theatre was either work in progress or referred to the dimension on which it existed as all I could find around this building was an empty hall.

The mirror maze was an upcharge attraction for which you'd buy a pair of gloves. Clearly the park didn't want people smudging their sweat on the attraction as they felt their way around the maze. Could this be the most OCD attraction in the park?

The Devil House was an also an upcharge and a better walkthrough than those I'd done at the fair the previous day.

A park within a park Mary World is the kiddy section off to the right as you enter.

I didn't like the sign on the left, but the sign on the right made me chuckle. The idea of doing drive-bys slapping each other in the face with damp towels I found amusing. 


Not real trees.


This was kind of cute, although I had no clue what it was supposed to be.


The first coaster of the day was the mine train ride which I got to ride alone when a member of staff caught me taking photos. He happily let me stay on for a few laps before I got bored. 


The second was a ridiculous kiddy ride that I wasn't sure I'd be allowed to go on but they had no issue with me getting on. Despite looking tame to an adult these rides have an absolute kick and this one didn't disappoint there. But I only rode it once before the embarrassment kicked in. 

A ride guaranteed to make you nauseous.

I liked this race track due to the downhill start. You don't usually get that in a theme park. 

An interesting choice of character.


The largest coaster in the park is their corkscrew ride which was due to open at midday. I'm guessing by the scaffolding that some work was going on with it. Fortunately the work had been done as later in the day they started dismantling it, with no safety gear whatsoever. Just 4 guys pulling down the supports - fun to watch!

If Humpty Dumpty had a great fall and couldn't be put back together again, who's that on the wall?


The park is expanding and a quick chat with one of the managers told me that a new spin ride was going here and they may have a new coaster coming later in the year. One to keep an eye on.

Also new to the park was a little water park area, which the manager seemed really proud of.


The tornado coaster was a strange powered ride with roll cages, which I assume was to protect passengers who may want to mess around in the tunnel sections. Despite its odd looks it rode fine. 


With the clock passing midday the manager walked me over to the corkscrew which was now up and running and with 2 other people waiting got the first couple of rides of the day. It was an OK ride and I know to ride with the head back to avoid the inevitable concussive blows that you can get off these.


The final coaster of the day, and another ride that opens late was the water coaster, and with more people having arrived to the park a small queue had gathered.

I don't want to get wet at theme parks anymore but sometimes you have to, and this was one of those times. The ride wasn't too drenching and the weather was warm enough that I soon dried out.

and that was MGM Dizzee World. A nicely run park with management that are very proud of the ever expanding park that they have. 

MGM Dizzee World is located on the East Coast Road not far from Navallur 



1 comment:

  1. Is that an authentic Eyerly Spider at MGM Dizzee World? Just wondering because it looks to be one other than the center cover is missing. You did a great job on doing a trip report to India. You've sure got nerves of steel to ride those roller coasters as many of us know India's safety record isn't the best (if not the worst) at amusement parks. Still, you did a wonderful job. I can't wait for more of your trip reports. :-)

    ReplyDelete