Saturday 21 February 2015

Bangalore Palace

As I was in the grounds of the Bangalore Palace it made sense to go and check it out. On the satellite it looked to be 5 minutes away but the one-way system and heavy traffic in this part of the city meant that it took around 20 to get into the grounds. (Or perhaps my driver was deliberately taking a long way around to eat the clock, I don't know)

On arriving we could see some sort of wedding entourage complete with 2 elephants, which I was totally pumped for. Even my driver was celebrating this citing that had we arrived on any other day they wouldn't have been there.

Only when we got close did we realise they were animatronics, but pretty convincing ones.


Inside the palace the wedding ceremony was in full swing with families watching the main stage. The central corridor was a huge mandala. I have no idea how much it cost to host such an event here, must have cost an absolute fortune.


It was a big event and taking place in a venue that's open to the public they didn't seem to mind randoms walking around, although I did choose not to take a drink from the bar. I figure that might have been pushing it.

People were posing with the cars waiting outside. Nice vehicles!

Onto the building itself. The palace was built between 1862 and 1944 and is made of a hybrid of architectural styles but predominantly Tudor. It's a stunning building but everyone I mentioned this to suggested I should have gone to the much larger palace in Mysore instead. I'm glad I did them this way around. This wowed me and I know I'll be wowed again when I do visit Mysore.


The grounds were really well maintained and not full of people, which was great. In fact the only other people bothering to walk into this bit were 3 pikey backpackers, who gave me the "hello fellow Westerner" head nod as we passed each other.


There is a tour within some of the Palace rooms, which is a little pricey but worth doing as the rooms are stunning. 


I've not idea who this, but to have had his portrait done complete with sunglasses on his head, he must be pretty wealthy.

I really liked the Bangalore Palace and felt quite honoured to have been allowed into such a posh wedding celebration. I'm officially a Wedding Crasher!


No comments:

Post a Comment