Saturday 28 February 2015

Adventure Island

It was time to say goodbye to the wonderful Mumbai and the next flight to Delhi.

This time the online check-in terminal worked but I had to face an lengthy delay due to my plane being delayed from an earlier leg on the back of a spate of cancellations due to low visibility in Delhi.

Why would you want to buy furniture before the plane departs and why weren't there any shops selling important stuff like souvenir fridge magnets.

The plane journey was fine but the plane stopped at Jodhpur, a military airport half way between Mumbai and Delhi, something that I didn't know prior to buying the ticket. The plane completely emptied out and having been told not take photos out of the plane, I instead took photos of the inside of an empty plane. "Why didn't you fly direct?" said the nice stewardess. "I thought I had" was my rather dumb response.

Nice message in sign welcomed us to the city of Delhi and a 40 minute cab ride brought me to my hotel.

For this leg I was using the Crowne Plaza in Rohini in the west of the city. A nice hotel with the next amusement park less than 5 minutes walk away.

Opened in 2006 the park has a good selection of ride but doesn't seem to know what a Ferris Wheel is.

The logo looked to have been inspired by Islands of Adventure. As there was less than an hour left I chose to buy the cheap entry wristband and then pay for any rides within the park. 

Not quite Orlando but clearly inspired by it.



The rides looked to be in a good state but time had weathered them all a little bit.

It was also the first park that felt like it had been slapped on concrete, like a bad Six Flags park. Adlabs was clearly a modern development but I didn't feel like it had been slapped on the ground.

Despite that some of the rides were cool looking



Another empty park but given the time of day it looked like they were done for the day. A small number were running so that those latecomers weren't being totally ripped off.


Air Pogo is a suspended ride that could drive a debate on whether it's a coaster or not, as it ascends a lift hill and then goes down slowly back to the station with no more uphill sections beyond the start.

Not that it mattered as the ride was down anyway. When I spoke the park staff they said the ride doesn't run when the visibility is low. Now whilst I understood the city was suffering from poor visibility I had no issue seeing across the park from one side to the other so had no idea what the park was on about.

The poor visibility really made it difficult to see anything in the park.


OK, it looks like there's a little artistic licence being used here. Water Floater perhaps, but not a Water Coaster.

This was their Rocking Tug Coaster

and this was the Jumping Coaster

Fire Brigade Coaster had a lot of theming and a rather large disproportionate station given the size of the ride it led to.

This ended up being the last ride of the day.

So with the rides closed and the few stragglers making their way out of the park I did a quick run around to take some night time shots of the park including this Jewish Eiffel Tower.

This the centrepiece of the courtyard that joins the park to the metro walk area beside it. Yes like Universal in that it has that "concept" just not done very well.

The Florida Citywalk doesn't have a badly camouflaged tank though! They probably have one that is so well camouflaged I can't see it.

The MetroWalk shops were really bad.

Heading back to the hotel I spotted that as well as not knowing what a Ferris Wheel was they're also struggling with a twister.

So that was Adventure Island, a park that clearly had investment to open but was lacking investment to maintain it. I wasn't too upset about not getting to ride Air Pogo. I would be able to pop into the park every day I was staying here.

The park is located in the Rohini district in the north-west of the city. The last stop on the red line is within walking distance of the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment